No matter how maligned avocado toast might be, and no matter how millennial-y it might seem, this recipe isn’t going away anytime soon. Why? Because it actually tastes pretty good!
If you’ve been looking for a way to try the internet’s newest and biggest food trend, have we got recipes for you. They’re a bit more sophisticated than mashing an avocado and putting it on some Wonder Bread, but that doesn’t mean they’re complicated.
Simple avocado toast
Here’s a recipe for avocado toast you’ll definitely love. Thanks to Eat Within Your Means for this concoction.
- 4 slices thick whole grain bread (or gluten-free equivalent)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 lime
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup raw fresh corn kernels (or 1 ear)
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- olive oil for drizzling
- Toast the bread.
- Soak the edamame in warm water in a small bowl.
- Cut the corn off the cob and measure out 1/2 cup (save remaining corn for another use).
- Mash the edamame in a small bowl.
- Mash in the avocado.
- Add the sliced scallions and corn to the avocado-edamame mixture.
- Add the juice from half of the lime along with a sprinkle of salt, mix, and taste. Add more lime juice or salt as needed.
- When the toast is done, rub a cut garlic clove over the surface of each piece of toast.
- Spread the avocado mixture evenly onto each piece of toast.
- Top each slice with a drizzle of olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, hemp seeds, tomato, and cilantro. You can also add a sprinkle of salt and lime juice if you like.
Avocado toast with egg
If you’re looking to add even more pizzazz to your avocado toast, then here’s yet another recipe — this time with an egg. Perfect for breakfast! Courtesy Pinch of Yum.
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices whole-grain bread (or gluten-free equivalent)
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, or basil) to garnish
- handful of quartered heirloom tomatoes
- Poach or fry the eggs.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread and smash the avocado on each piece of toast.
- When the eggs are done, place the eggs on top of the toast.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.
- Serve with the fresh quartered heirloom tomatoes.
The internet might be sharply divided over avocado toast, but with these tasty recipes, you’ll be fully in the “yes” corner. So grab a ripe one and start mashing!
How do you feel about avocado toast? Leave a comment below!