What started as a search for a moisturizer to keep the skin on my hands from cracking led me to the discovery of something so insanely useful. I couldn’t believe I didn’t know about it before: coconut oil. It’s so versatile that it can easily replace any number of personal hygiene and general health products. Coconut oil is something that I’ll always keep on hand from now on.
A lot of people aren’t aware of just how beneficial coconut oil is to your health and body, or how to maximize those benefits. If you’re interested in learning more, keep reading – we’ve put everything you need to know into a helpful outline.
What Makes Coconut Oil so Great?
Coconut oil is very high in fatty acids – medium-chain fatty acids, to be exact. These types of fatty acids are healthy as they’re both easily digested and absorbed. Your body then uses them as a source of energy, but also for other curative, restorative, and preventative measures.
It’s an anti-microbial, anti-carcinogenic, antioxidant, and an anti-inflammatory. Coconut oil also improves your body’s nutrient absorption (particularly with vitamins A, D, E and K).
Add all these impressive benefits and the fact that coconut oil is readily available and affordable, and you’ve got a substance that you’d be crazy not to own!
Improve your Personal Hygiene and Skin Care Regimen
As I said, I discovered coconut oil because I was looking for a moisturizer to keep my hands from becoming dry to the point of cracking. It worked wonders for me, which made me curious as to what else it could do. After a little research, I discovered this list of surprising hygienic and skin care uses for coconut oil:
- Body scrub – Mixing coconut oil with some salt and your favorite essential oils can lead to a fantastic smelling DIY body scrub!
- Lip salve – Applying a bit to your lips will soften them right up.
- After shave – Coconut oil is a great remedy for razor burn and won’t clog up your pores in the process!
- Dandruff – In addition to thoroughly moisturizing your scalp, it also regulates the rate at which your scalp exudes oil.
- Diaper rash – This is a gentle remedy for your baby’s diaper rash as it has no chemicals.
- Body moisturizer – Substitute coconut oil in place of your usual body lotion and be amazed at the difference in how soft your skin becomes.
- Nipple cream – Nursing mothers will love this. Simply use a cotton ball to apply it to cracked and sore nipples.
- Stretch marks – Coconut oil fades stretch marks.
- Wrinkle reducer/preventer – Coconut oil revitalizes skin and lessens the severity of wrinkles.
- Deodorant – You can use coconut oil alone for deodorant or mix it together with baking soda and cornstarch.
Improving your General Wellness and Overall Health
Coconut oil’s usefulness doesn’t end with your skin or hygiene. It’s incredibly useful for myriad general health and wellness reasons, as well, including:
- Bones and teeth – Coconut oil improves your body’s absorption rate of magnesium and calcium, both of which lead to stronger bones and teeth. If you have yet to read our article on oil pulling, an ancient technique that helps maintain oral hygiene, go check it out!
- Stress relief – Gently massaging coconut oil into your scalp can help relief stress due to its soothing scent and texture.
- Weight loss – Coconut oil can control your body’s cravings, while its saturated fats can accelerate weight loss.
- Fitness – Coconut oil can drastically improve your energy level and increase your metabolism.
- Digestion – The saturated fats that coconut oil contains ease indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome.
Improving Internal Health and Other Issues
Coconut oil can also improve your internal health and address other health issues, such as the following:
- Cold and Flu – Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties can both prevent and lessen the severity of viruses.
- Diabetes – Coconut oil can stabilize the blood sugar levels in your blood.
- Kidney Stones/Disease – Coconut oil helps your body dissolve kidney stones.
- Acid Reflux – If taken after a meal, coconut oil can lessen acid reflux (or eliminate it entirely).
- Heart disease – Coconut oil protects arteries from atherosclerosis.
- Hemorrhoids – External or internal application can shrink hemorrhoids and reduce the discomfort.
The Best Coconut Oil Products Available
I experimented with a lot of coconut oil products to see which would work best for me, and as a result I found a few that I’d absolutely recommend to others. If you’re interested in trying some out for yourself, I put together a list of the ones I liked the most:
- Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – This is my go-to for dry skin, especially for my hands. Works exceptionally well on cuticles, too!
- Majestic Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil – If you don’t like the smell of coconut, this product is for you. It serves as a wonderful facial moisturizer and is good for mixing with essential oils for aromatherapy purposes.
- Coco & Co. Coconut Oil for Hair & Skin – This product is perfect for damaged or color-treated hair as it leaves behind a silky-smooth finish with no oil residue.
- Nutiva Coconut Oil – An excellent product if you’re looking to use it as a supplement, as it has a refreshing, genuine coconut taste. It’s also a great alternative for vegetable oils and butter.
The Many, Many Benefits of Coconut Oil
If you’re tired of buying a lot of products to address different health or dietary concerns, chances are coconut oil can be the all-in-one you’re looking for. Regardless of whether you need it for your skin, your digestive health, or your energy levels, coconut oil is exactly what you need.
Try it out and you’ll be amazed at just how versatile and useful it can be!