We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Trendy Mami may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
A molten lava cake is the ultimate decadent dessert for chocolate lovers. From the warm, fluffy cake on the outside to the gooey, chocolatey river of melted goodness on the inside, the sheer thought of this chocolate lava cake recipe is enough to make your mouth water.
Although you may think that lava cakes are hard to make, they are surprisingly easy, even for those who have never baked before. You don’t need a mixer, nor do you have to let them bake for hours! And best of all, you don’t have to let them cool, which means you can eat them right away.
We’re making ours with a sweet passion fruit sauce, which is the perfect accompaniment to the cake’s rich, fudgy, and decadent flavors. However, these cakes are so good that you don’t need a sauce at all to enjoy them.
Ingredients for the Cake
- 200 g of dark chocolate
- 200 g of butter
- 160 g sugar
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 40 g of flour
- Powdered sugar
- 3 L of hot water
Ingredients for the Passion Fruit Sauce
- 8 passion fruits
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1tsp of lemon juice
Directions for Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- The first step in making this delicious molten lava cake is to melt the chocolate. We will do this by melting the chocolate in a heated bath. If you have a double boiler or bain-marie, pour 3-liters of water into the outer container. If you do not have a double boiler or bain-marie, then you can simply create your own using a large pot and a bowl.
- The water in the bottom container or pot should be hot. Place the bowl (or top container if using a bain-marie) over the water. Pour the chocolate into the bowl. You can use a spoon, spatula, or whisk to mix the chocolate while it melts over the hot water.
- Add the butter to the melted chocolate mixture and stir until it’s completely melted and thoroughly mixed.
- Add the sugar to the butter and chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Remove the pot or container with the hot water. Because the bowl with the mixture is hot, we need to cool it down to room temperature before adding the eggs, or else we will end up with a cooked, scrambled mess rather than a smooth mixture.
- Add one egg at a time to the mixture. You should mix the egg thoroughly with the chocolate mixture before adding the next egg.
- Pour the flour into the mixture a little at a time. We recommend using a flour sifter if you have one, as this breaks up the flour, so it doesn’t clump when stirred. By now, your mixture should be thick and smooth.
- For this chocolate lava cake recipe, we will be using silicone molds. If you do not have silicone molds, you can also use paper cupcake wrappers. Butter the inside of the mold or wrapper. This will ensure that the cake easily pops out onto the plate once it’s cooked.
- Sprinkle a little bit of flour into the molds.
- Ladle the batter into each of the molds until they are ¾ of the way full. You don’t want to fill it all the way to the top.
- Cover the mixture with parchment paper and then place it in the freezer. The batter will need to freeze for roughly 4 hours.
- Once the chocolate molten lava cakes are frozen, then we can finally bake them! Preheat your oven to 430°F /220°C. Place the molds on a cookie tray and bake for 15 to 19 minutes. Keep in mind that this is a recipe for a molten lava cake, so we don’t want the inside of the batter to be completely cooked.
Directions for Passion Fruit Sauce Recipe
- While the cakes are baking, we will make a passion fruit sauce to serve with them. One passion fruit is enough for one molten lava cake, but we will make enough sauce for the entire batch of molten lava cakes. Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the flesh and seeds with a spoon.
- Add the scooped-out fruit into the pan.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice to the passion fruit. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the pan on medium and let the ingredients heat up together for 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. We just want the sauce to be warm, not bubbling or boiling.
Plating the Molten Chocolate Cake
- Take a spoon full of the passion fruit sauce and drizzle it on the plate.
- After you take the cakes out of the oven, plop them out of the silicone mold and place them on the place on top of the sauce.
- Dust with a little bit of powdered sugar for the finishing touch, and voila! Crack the cake open with a spoon (the inside of the cake should be liquid and runny) and enjoy your delicious chocolate molten lava cake!