We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Trendy Mami may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Although it may seem complicated, making your own ravioli pasta at home is surprisingly easy. It only takes a few simple ingredients and doesn’t require any expensive tools like a pasta machine or stand mixer (but if you have them, they do make your life a little easier)! If you want to know how to make pasta, we’ve created this mouthwatering shrimp and potato ravioli that’s guaranteed to wow all your guests at your next dinner party.
Nothing better to pair with your homemade ravioli than great wine. For those of you looking to taste some of Napa Valley’s most vibrant flavors, check out Sterling Vineyards. But for now, back to pasta!
Ingredients for Ravioli Pasta
Pasta (2 serving sizes):
- 200g Flour 00
- 2 Eggs
- 10g durum wheat flour
- 200g potato
- 10g shrimp (cleaned and shelled)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of cornstarch (optional)
- ½ tsp of salt
- 3 or 4 leaves of mint
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- Olive oil
- Garlic (previously used to cook the shrimps)
- 4 shrimp
- White wine
- 250g Cherry tomatoes
How to Make Pasta Instructions:
- Put ¾ of the flour into a large bowl. We need to keep some of the flour in case our dough is too wet or sticky.
- Using a fork, create an indent in the middle of the flour mound.
- Crack two eggs directly into the indent of the flour mound.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Take your fork and slowly whisk the egg into the flower. You can start incorporating more of the flour mound into the mixture as you go. Once it becomes thicker, you can begin kneading the dough with your hands instead.
- The dough should be smooth and soft to the touch. If the mixture is too sticky or wet, you can add more flour to the dough.
- Once the dough is smooth, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for approximately 30 minutes.
How to Make Homemade Pasta Filling:
- In a pan, heat up olive oil on medium-high heat. Place two peel cloves of garlic into the pan until slightly roasted.
- Add the shrimp to the pan, tossing to make sure they are evenly coated and cooked in the oil. Let them cool for a few minutes, then chop into small pieces.
- Once the shrimps are cooked, dispose of the cooked garlic cloves.
*Tip* Save the pan that you cooked the shrimps in. We will use the oil and flavors to make the sauce later.
- Now we will boil the potatoes used for this ravioli pasta. Peel and cube the potato and cook in boiling water for 25-minutes or until soft. Once they are cooked, mashed the potatoes into a thick paste.
- Chop the mint leaves into small pieces. Make sure not to chop in the direction of the stem.
- Add the chopped shrimp and mint into the potato mixture. Add ½ tsp of salt. Stir all the ingredients together until mixed.
- Crack one egg into the potato mixture and stir together. If your filling is too runny, you can always thicken it up with a sprinkle of cornstarch.
How to Make the Filled Ravioli Pasta and Sauce:
- By now, your dough should be rested and ready to roll out. Unwrap it from the plastic wrap and place it on a floured surface.
- Because we need a top and bottom layer of the ravioli, we will cut the dough into two pieces.
- Using a rolling pin, roll both pieces of dough until it is approximately 1mm thick.
- Take a ravioli cutter and make little marks (don’t cut the dough completely) for reference where the filling should be placed.
- Place a spoonful of filling into the center of each pasta mark. For this ravioli recipe, we’re using a ½ tbsp measuring spoon to make sure we put an equal amount of filling into each ravioli.
- Place the second sheet of pasta dough over the one with the filling. Press around the filling to remove any air that could be trapped.
- Cute the out the shaped ravioli with the ravioli cutter. Roll them in the durum wheat flour.
- Now it’s time to cook the ravioli pasta! Boil a pot of water with salt.
- While the water is boiling, take the pan we used to cook the shrimps in and place it on a burner set to medium-high.
- Add four more shrimps to the pan. Add a splash of white wine while they are cooking.
- Now add the chopped cherry tomatoes to the pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cover the pan with a lid to let everything cook together. The sauce should cook for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and juicy.
- Place the tomatoes and shrimp into a blender or food processor (feel free to save a few to use as garnish) and blend together.
- Once everything is blended, add it back into the pan.
- By now, the pot of water should be boiling. Add the ravioli pasta to the pot and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until they start to float to the surface.
- Before you toss the pasta water, reserve 1/3 of a cup to add to the tomato sauce.
- Heat the pan on low medium heat and add the cooked ravioli to the sauce. Let everything soak together for a minute.
- Serve your ravioli pasta on a plate and garnish with the extra tomatoes, shrimp, and parsley. Enjoy!
For those of you who read this and are thinking “I don’t have time to do all of that,” take a look at Fresh Direct, which delivers healthy food straight to your doorstep. For everyone else, those of you who want to expand your reach in the kitchen, take a look at our delicious recipes for Salmon Zucchini Pesto and carb-free Zucchini Noodles, both of which are distinctive meals you won’t soon forget!