We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Trendy Mami may collect a share of sales or other compensations from the links on this page.
The Lunar New Year is almost upon us! Chinese New Year begins on February 10th, and what better way to celebrate than with homemade fortune cookies? These little treats are of course delicious (obviously) but they are also incredible because you can stuff your own personalized fortunes inside! How great! These homemade fortune cookies make for the perfect conversation starters for a Chinese New Year celebration — or any party, really. These cookies are super fun to serve, and super fun to make. Fair warning though, these are not for the faint-hearted. Baking these babies is a challenge. Tune in to our video tutorial if you need a little extra help with this recipe.
What You’ll Need:
Fortune Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons water or ⅛ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
You can find all these ingredients in FreshDirect!
Fortune Cookie Materials:
- Stainless steel whisks
- Rubber scraper spatula
- Silicone baking mat
You can find these materials from Target!
What To Do For Your Fortune Cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C-180°C).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, rice flour, cornstarch, salt, and sugar. Pour the liquid ingredients (oil, water, and vanilla extract) into the bowl and use a rubber spatula to mix all the ingredients. Make sure they are well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites (just enough to turn them frothy). Set aside.
4. Add half of the egg whites in the other bowl and mix well to break up any lumps. When smooth, incorporate the remaining egg whites. Mix until smooth again.
5. Pipe or spoon the batter onto a nonstick baking sheet (2-inch size circles) then use the back of a spoon to spread the batter in a circular motion outward to make it as thin as possible without creating holes in the batter.
6. Bake for approximately 8 mins until slightly brown around the edges.
7. Remove from the oven then carefully and quickly scrape the fortune circles off the nonstick sheet and flip them over.
8. Place the fortune message in the center of the cookie. Wait 5 sec before folding them in half slightly and crease the middle of the cookie on the edge of a cup to shape. Place the folded fortune cookies in a bowl or a muffin pan from Sur La Table to cool (so that they won’t lose their shape).
9. Serve! You can make more or less than 25 cookies with this amount of batter, depending on how many mistakes you make (because trust us, we made mistakes and we still got 25 cookies out of it!).
Fortune Cookie Recipe Important Notes:
- Whilst spreading the batter in a circular motion, keep the spoon perpendicular to the sheet, to keep the pressure consistent.
- Before lifting the fortune circles with your fingers, wet them with cold water to prevent yourself from getting burnt.
- Pinch with your fingers toward the sides of the cookie before bending it against the edge of the cup.
We hope you enjoyed our article on this delicious fortune cookie recipe, just in time for the Chinese New Year! For more Chinese New Year recipes, check out our Dumpling Recipe! And if you’re looking for even more recipes, give our recipes list a look!