We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Trendy Mami may collect a share of sales or other compensations from the links on this page.
There are so many great Valentine’s Day Crafts, but we love this adorable DIY Tic Tac Toe board. It’s a fun and creative project that only uses a few basic materials, like air-dried clay and paint or nail polish. Plus, you can personalize it to your liking by painting fun patterns or making different pebble shapes!
This is a great project for kids, although we think people of all ages can enjoy this tutorial! So, if you’re ready to get creative this Valentine’s Day, then look no further than this DIY Tic Tac Toe Board.
Valentine’s Day Crafts – Clay Tic Tac Toe Board
- Dry clay from Joann
- Clay carving tools
- Top coat, nail polish or acrylic paint
- Silicon mold
- Rolling pin
- Nail filing
- Cookie cutter
- Paint brushes
- Parchment paper
- Knife or circular cutting object
- First, we’ll need to make the Tic Tac Toe board out of clay. Start by kneading and softening up the clay with your hands. Don’t use all the clay – you still need some for the pieces and edges.
- With the rolling pin, flatten out the clay until it’s approximately 4mm thick. You can choose how large you want the board to be, but make sure it’s even all the way around in thickness.
- Time to trim off the edges! Using a ruler for measurement, cut the sides of the board until you have a square shape for the base.
- Mix some of the extra clay with water until you have a paste with the consistency of cream cheese. This will be our glue.
- Using a clay carving tool, make small scores around the edge of the board and then add the glue on top of them.
- Take some extra clay and roll it into long, round pieces. Place these rolls around the perimeter of the board to make the raised edge.
- Roll out another piece of clay and then use the ruler to slice four strings of equal width. This will be the “hashtag” that’s on top of the board.
- Now, we will use the same gluing procedure as earlier. Score the board where the hashtag will be placed and add the glue. Place the clay strips on the glue.
- We’re done with the board for now, so clean out the edges and let it dry over a piece of parchment paper.
- It’s time to move on to the Tic Tac Toe pieces. Start by making eight small pebbles/balls with the clay. You can hand roll them or use a cookie cutter on a rolled-out piece of clay. For this Valentine’s Day crafts tutorial, we’ll be making heart-shaped pebbles!
- Once the pebbles are cut out, you will need to mark them with X and O signs.
- Now, all our clay pieces need to dry completely. Make sure to flip the board and the pebbles over to let the underside dry as well.
- Once everything is dry, it’s time to start decorating our board. You can use acrylic paint or nail polish – whichever is easiest! Decorate your board and pebbles to your liking. Don’t be afraid to get creative, painting using different colors or fun patterns to bring your game to life. If you need brushes, you can get them from Five Below.
- To finish, you can use a top coat of nail polish or a clay glossy finish solution to seal the board. This also gives it a nice sheen and protects it from the elements!
- Have fun and enjoy game night!
Enjoy Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day Crafts are a great way to show your loved ones just how much you care. And this Tic Tac Toe Board is a fun project for kids or for making your family game night extra memorable! While we love creative gifts for Valentine’s Day, you may also consider giving a more traditional present instead. A bouquet of flowers or a piece of jewelry also makes nice gifts!