We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Trendy Mami may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Sweet, tangy, and deliciously creamy, this limoncello cake recipe is one of our favorite desserts of all time. It gets its citrus kick from limoncello, a lemon-flavored liquor that comes from the south of Italy.
And while limoncello is delicious on its own, it’s even better when used in this limoncello mascarpone cake!
Refreshing Limoncello Cake Recipe
Ingredients for Limoncello Mascarpone Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup of sugar
Ingredients for the Filling and Icing
- 17 oz whole milk
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 oz water
- 5 oz limoncello
- 1 egg
- ½ lemon zest
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Lemon slices
Tools and Materials
- Big pot
- Plastic wrap
- Bread knife
- Baking brush
- Pastry bag
- Cake base
- Cake pan 8/9 inches (22cm)
- Little pot
Instructions for Limoncello Cake Recipe
- We’re going to start by making the cake base. In your bowl, add the eggs and sugar and whisk together.
- Now add a pinch of salt, the potato starch, and the baking powder into the mix and whisk.
- Finally, add the flour and whisk until you have a thick and fluffy batter.
- Pour the batter into your baking pan. Place the pan into the oven and bake at 365°F for roughly 30 minutes. Once it’s cooked all the way through, take out the cake and let it cool.
Making the Sweet Custard Filling
- For the next part of our limoncello cake recipe, we’re going to prepare the sweet custard filling.
- In your big pot, add the egg, half of the sugar, and lemon zest and whisk together until smooth.
- Now, add the flour and continue to whisk.
- Pour in the milk while you are whisking the filling.
- Slowly add 2/3 of the limoncello into the mixture. Whisk!
Put It on the Stove
- We need to let the filling heat up on the stove, so place the pot onto a burning on medium heat for about a minute. You need to keep whisking the filling while it’s cooking.
- Once it starts to boil (you should see bubbles), stop whisking and let it cook for another minute. By now, the custard should be thick and creamy.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pot with plastic wrap to prevent it from crusting on the top. Place the pot in the fridge to cool.
- Once the custard is cooled, add in the mascarpone and whisk. Then add the whipped cream. At this point, you will want to whisk gently as it will take some effort to blend the custard with the whipped cream.
- If the mixture needs to cool and thicken, place it back in the fridge.
- Now, fill your pastry bag with the cooled custard. Set it aside.
- On your stovetop, fill a small pot with water and heat up. Then add the rest of the sugar and limoncello to the pot. Whisk until everything is melted. This is your moisture mix.
- It’s time to start decorating our limoncello mascarpone cake! Take your cake and slice through the center to produce two layers.
- Place the bottom layer on your decorative cake base and brush the moisture mix onto the top.
- Then, pipe about half of the filling onto the bottom layer. Spread the custard evenly with a spoon until the top of the layer is covered.
- Place the top layer of the cake onto the filling.
- Brush another moisture layer to the top of this layer.
- Pipe the custard filling on top of the cake and spread with a spoon.
- For even more decoration, add thin slices of lemon to the top of the cake.
Make More Sweet Treats!
While we love our limoncello cake recipe, we have a few other tasty treats for you to try at home! This passionfruit lava cake is a must for any chocolate lover. Or what about our butter apple cake? It’s light, flakey, and perfect to make with kids! If you’re looking for something on the lighter side, we can also recommend our healthy cheesecake recipe. Have fun satisfying your sweet tooth!